There comes a time in every child’s life when the familiar bars of the cot must be left behind. Transitioning into a ‘big bed’ can be difficult for any family to figure out – and that’s where kids bedding comes in.
There are no set rules as to when you should move your baby into a toddler bed. However, common wisdomsets out the following parameters:
• The older the better (closer to 3 years of age) as many younger children will not be ready • When your child is too big or too active to be in the cot anymore
• Continuous climbing out of the cot (you can lower the mattress to put a stop to this if your cot allows)
• At least six to eight weeks before the arrival of an impending sibling OR three to four months after the sibling is born (depending on age and cognitive ability of the toddler)
Some kids will find this transition smooth sailing while others will most definitely NOT. One thing that’s bound to make it easier on everyone? Involving your child in the selection of some unique, beautiful kids bedding that will make their room feel like home.
Allowing your child to have ownership over the design choices in their room will reward them with a sense of autonomy and independence. There can be lots of excited discussion about how they get to decorate everything, choose some great new kids bedding and rearrange the room to suit their tastes! Involving children in decision-making may be a slower route than doing it all yourself but giving them this important job can help ease the transition to the new bed and make it feel like a special new space created just for them.
Unfortunately, there are no guaranteed tactics to keep your child in their bed – no-one is thirstier than a toddler who is meant to be asleep! But tried and true methods include:
• Using night lights to keep fears away
• Having an established bedtime routine that you stick to
• Gentle assistance in guiding the child back to bed when they get out
• Working with them on establishing effective, low stress sleep techniques (the no yelling approach)
• Trying, and trying… and trying again
Your child is unlikely to be coming into your bed looking for cuddles when they’re a teenager. They are only little for a short while – so get those toddler snuggles while you can and know that all kids eventually settle in their own bed.
Night lights can help ease the transition! Shop Our Range Here!
Are you ready for some good but maybe not-so-clean fun? Read our top tips for getting the kids out in the garden. Read on
Outdoors toys are a fantastic investment for the kids and make an excellent joint Christmas gift for siblings. If you’ve been considering akids’ sandpit for your home, here are our top tips to maintaining one and keeping the joy in the gift all year round.